The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.
My first thought was huh? Then I looked up a broader definition of religion.
The World English Dictionary defines religion as:
- 1. belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny
- 2. any formal or institutionalized expression of such belief: the Christian religion
- 3. the attitude and feeling of one who believes in a transcendent controlling power or powers
- 4. chiefly RC Church the way of life determined by the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience entered upon by monks, friars, and nuns: to enter religion
- 5. something of overwhelming importance to a person: football is his religion
- 6. archaic a. the practice of sacred ritual observances b. sacred rites and ceremonies
Is it 1, 3, 5, or 6? I see a little of each when I think about Huxley’s quote. Writers have powerful and original minds. It’s no small feat to pull a world out of the depths of your imagination. I’m wondering if all writers feel this way about solitude. There are times when I am so thoroughly in my head, I have to remember to come out for the people in my life.
Occasionally I find myself with very little to say in social situations and I don’t know why. I don’t like that either. It’s noticeable. My husband has even commented on this recently. He says he worries about me becoming a “crazy cat lady”. (I don’t own that picture. It belongs to Matt Groening. His cat lady has gone so batty she doesn’t even speak anymore. She blargs. lol Thanks for giving my husband a visual, Matt.)
How do you feel about solitude?
“Come live in my heart, and pay no rent.”
~ Samuel Lover
Attention Authors! The RB4U is offering a promo deal: Pay for Oct and Nov and get Dec for FREE. Contact Marianne for details. email@example.com.
We’re doing something new on my group blog. Thursdays are all about the genesis of a story. Today’s guest is Helena Fairfax.
Over on my other satellite blog. I’m hosting Jane Leopold Quinn for the Fall Into Romance Hop. http://calliopeswritingtablet.blogspot.com/
I’m talking love quotes in the FREE September issue of Hidden Desires Magazine. Get your download today! http://valterramagazines.com/
I’m one of 112 authors joining in the Sunset on Summer Fun Blog Hop, and we all have prizes! For the Grand Prize: One winner will receive their choice of a Kindle Fire 7″ HD or NOOK HD. This option is for US contestants only. International winners will receive Paypal Cash to spend how they wish. Scroll down to see my prize and be sure to leave your email in comments. Click on My Novels at the top of this page to see all of my book trailers.
Click Here for Participants
Here’s my prize:
One lucky winner chosen randomly will receive
a Love Waits in Unexpected Places coffee cup,
a collection of Victorian reproduction trinkets,
>>Subscribe to this blog for all the what’s up with Rose news!<<